Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fertilization

My husband and I purchased our house last July.  We fell in love with it the very first time we stepped foot inside.  It fulfilled almost every want and need we had for a house.  However, it didn't take long for me to realize we had a problem.  We had a huge problem.  We had crabs.

No, not those kind of crabs.  I'm talking about crabgrass.  For those unfamiliar with what crabgrass is, it's type of weed.  A really ugly weed that looks like this:


Our yard was infested with it.  I felt so embarrassed and ashamed.  I didn't know how to get rid of it.  I felt as though people would drive by and stare at our yard in complete disgust.  Our neighbors' yards were lush, thick, and full of dark green grass.  But not ours.  I assumed the previous owners didn't take very good care of the yard because either A) they knew they were going to be moving and didn't care about the yard anymore, or B) they just weren't good upkeepers with their yard to begin with.

I wanted it gone!  I spent one Saturday afternoon on my hands and knees crawling around our front yard pulling up every weed I could find.  I'm sure the neighbors thought I was completely crazy and were a little worried about me moving in next door to them and their children.  By the time I pulled up as many clumps of crabgrass I could find, our yard looked even worse and I had huge blisters on my hands.  I knew at that point it was a lost cause.  Our yard would remain like this for the rest of the summer and fall.  By the time crabgrass starts growing, there's no way to stop it. 

So, when spring rolled around this year I put my foot down and insisted that we take action this year to prevent crabgrass and hopefully end up with a beautiful yard.  We tossed around the idea of hiring professionals to come in.  However, calling around to get quotes seemed like a big hassle.  That's when we came across the Scott's Lawn Pro 4 Step Program.  It's basically four different applications that you apply throughout spring, summer, and fall.  We decided to give this a try and see what happens.  Tuesday night we went out and bought the 'Step 1 Crabgrass preventer and Lawn Fertilizer' and applied it to the yard.
 

Now we keep our fingers crossed and wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment